The origin of Fukagawa
Before Fukagawa became an official solid prefecture of Japan, there were several events occurred in the past. One of the most significant ones was the Great Fire of Meireki. The Great Fire of Meireki was believed to be fired accidentally by a priest who was cremating a cursed kimono which murdered three teenage girls.When the garment was being burned, a large gust of wind fanned the flames causing the wooden temple to ignite. Furthermore, the death of three girls also brought about conflicts and then eventually lead to a huge fight. The aftermath of the fire was that the town lost at least 60% of its land. Therefore, the bank river of Sumida and Sagamachi were relocated to integrate with the town.
Fukagawa after 1695 officially became the “Fukagawa- Sagamachi” town. The merge between Fukagawa and Sagamchi became a major development for both cities. Fukagawa was well-known for its fishing industry as the majority of occupants at the moment were fishermen. While Sagamachi was famous a prosper town rich in grains and rice storage. The large quantity of these granaries leads to Sagamachi developing into a center for grains trade. Up until World War II, it was known to some as Tokyo’s largest grain market.